- Matamoros to the US: A long journey across a short bridgeon 04/03/2021 at 10:53 pm
This week Joe Biden’s reversal of Trump immigration policies took shape as asylum seekers crossed into the US.
- US debt projected to balloon to more than double GDP by 2051on 04/03/2021 at 10:17 pm
The Congressional Budget Office warned that by 2051, US debt will skyrocket to 202% of GDP up from 102% this year.
- Myanmar coup leaders tried draining $1bn from US account: Sourceson 04/03/2021 at 10:13 pm
An executive order from US President Joe Biden gave the green light to block the transfer indefinitely, Reuters reports.
- US Senate takes up massive COVID-19 rescue billon 04/03/2021 at 10:12 pm
With Vice President Harris breaking a tie vote, Senate begins work on $1.9 trillion spending package sought by Biden
- US stocks close lower amid inflation, volatility concernson 04/03/2021 at 10:06 pm
US Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell stopped short of offering steps to curb heightened volatility Thursday.
- 15 rights groups urge Biden to address Bahrain abuseson 04/03/2021 at 9:56 pm
Donald Trump's policies encourage authoritarianism in Manama, rights groups say; want Biden to reset relations.
- ‘Huge shock’: Greeks survey destruction after major quakeon 04/03/2021 at 9:18 pm
Heavy damage but no deaths after most powerful earthquake in 80 years struck central Greece.
- Alabama extends mask mandate as other US states lift restrictionson 04/03/2021 at 9:17 pm
Several states, including Texas and Mississippi, lifted mandates on mask wearing and eased restrictions on businesses.
- Will ICC probe into Palestinian territories achieve anything?on 04/03/2021 at 9:15 pm
The Hague-based tribunal opens an investigation into alleged war crimes in the Israeli occupied territories.
- Senegal clashes kill one after opposition leader arrestedon 04/03/2021 at 8:50 pm
First confirmed protester death in clashes since Ousmane Sonko was detained on Wednesday for 'disturbing public order'.
- UN rights investigator calls for tough sanctions on Myanmaron 04/03/2021 at 8:37 pm
Thomas Andrews urges the UN Security Council to impose an arms embargo and economic sanctions on military rulers.
- WHO inspectors ‘to scrap interim report’ on probe of COVID originon 04/03/2021 at 8:01 pm
UN health agency will not publish an interim report on its recent mission to Chinese city of Wuhan, the WSJ reports.
- Military helicopter crash in southeast Turkey kills 11on 04/03/2021 at 7:47 pm
A lieutenant general among the dead in army helicopter crash in southeast Turkey that left two others wounded.
- Yellen unveils $9bn in new funds to help low-income communitieson 04/03/2021 at 7:03 pm
Funds will expand government aid to small and minority-owned businesses hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Pope Francis embarks on historic visit to Iraqon 04/03/2021 at 6:48 pm
The pontiff will visit the dwindling Christian communities in a country decimated by years of conflict.
- Italy, EU block AstraZeneca vaccine shipment to Australiaon 04/03/2021 at 6:46 pm
The move affecting 250,000 doses reflects frustration within the bloc over the shortfall of promised vaccine deliveries.
- About 17 percent of food production globally wasted: UNon 04/03/2021 at 6:12 pm
Wasted food in 2019 was roughly equal to 23 million fully loaded 40-tonne trucks, according to UN research.
- PM Netanyahu denies failing to vaccinate Israel’s Arabson 04/03/2021 at 6:02 pm
Despite criticism, Israeli leader says COVID-19 vaccination campaign has included Palestinian citizens of Israel.
- QAnon Shaman breaks silence as DC braces for possible violenceon 04/03/2021 at 5:55 pm
Jacob Chansley says he 'regrets' January 6 participation as troops circle US Capitol amid plots of second insurrection.
- Tight inventory: Oil gains 5% as OPEC+ extends cuts into Aprilon 04/03/2021 at 5:16 pm
Global benchmark Brent hit $67.45 a barrel while West Texas Intermediate rose to $64.58.